If you are unable to afford our membership or classes then you still have the opportunity to get involved and learn pottery via our Work Exchange.
You will be required to work 1.5 hours each week at the studio performing tasks instructed by our Studio Manager or Studio Assistant. This will most likely be a deep clean, but may also involve tasks such as packing pots for delivery or tidying our materials and tools.
In exchange you will get a place on our Membership providing studio access. You will need to be content with exploring clay in a self-directed way, where a technician will be on hand to support you along with the other members. All materials and tools will be provided.
A place on our Work Exchange lasts 3 months, at which point it will end and we will announce an open call for someone new to apply.
How do I apply?
You will need to follow us on instagram where we will periodically announce places to join our Work Exchange.
With each announcement we will pose a question, and in order to apply you need simply write a direct message to us through instagram providing an answer to that question.
- Anyone 18 years or older
- Living within and around Norwich, or with ease of regular access to Norwich city centre
- Availability to work 1.5 hours weekly and make use of the studio facilities weekly
What do I get?
- 10% Discount on the listed price of all classes, including masterclasses
- Mentorship from an experienced potter/maker
- Clay and tool storage
- Shelf space for your ongoing work
- Work space on a large shared table
- Access to our pottery wheels (we currently have five wheels)
- Access to communal tools
- As much clay as you need from our stores
- Every new member will also receive their own complimentary Helgate Tote Bag!
When is it?
This opportunity is Adhoc and will be announced via instagram, and last 3 months from the first week that you attend the studio.
How and when will you decide?
We will assess all of the responses that we get to an announcement via instagram, and intend to award someone the position within 1-2 weeks of that announcement.
As we have just taken on the building where the Work Exchange will be located we have some access limitations, and will not be able to support applicants that require wheelchair access or those with significant mobility issues. Please reach out to us if you have any access concerns, and we can discuss the studio in more detail and potentially arrange a visit for you to scope out the facilities and see what might be possible.
We are in the process of drawing up plans to renovate the building and make it more accessible, and in the meantime apologise for these ongoing limitations.